Employee Benefit Plan Audits
EHTC’s specialization in auditing retirement plans requires extensive technical expertise and auditors with seasoned experience and knowledge. EHTC’s Employee Benefit Plan Audit Team ensures quality audits by staying current with the ever-changing rules and regulations issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Department of Labor. EHTC is a voluntary member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants’ (AICPA) Employee Benefit Plan Audit Quality Center. As a member of the Center, our firm receives updates on important developments related to employee benefit plan auditing. EHTC is also an independent member of the BDO Alliance USA. BDO USA, LLP’s nationally-developed audit approach provides EHTC with guidance and resources on best practices for conducting employee benefit plan audits. We use our extensive experience to provide recommendations for plan improvement opportunities in the areas of compliance and internal controls.
Our team listens to your needs. At EHTC, we believe that open, candid communication and an intimate knowledge of your concerns makes it possible to offer appropriate, proactive advice and counsel.
Our service philosophy is to provide hands-on service and to interact with plan management on a continual basis. Your EHTC client service team will be there throughout the year to provide insights when they are of most value to you.
Our Service Offerings Include
- Limited scope audits
- Full scope audits
- Defined contribution/401(k) audits
- Defined benefit pension audits
- Health and welfare plan audits
- Preparation and review of form 5500
- Preparation of Form 990
When is an Audit Needed?
Generally, when an employee benefit plan has more than 100 eligible participants, as defined by the Department of Labor, an organization is required to attach an audited financial statement to its Form 5500 prior to filing with the IRS.
- We have a core group of auditors who have been trained in the rules and regulations of this specialized industry.
- We are a member of the AICPA Employee Benefit Plan Audit Quality Center. The Center has been established to help its members reach the highest standards in performing quality audits.
- Every three years, we are subject to a peer review by an independent accounting firm to ensure the quality of our work is in accordance with professional standards. (Read our 2010 Peer Review Letter)
- In an audit by the Department of Labor, our audit work was approved.
- We are an independent member of the BDO Alliance USA, which gives us access to a nationally-developed audit approach and the resources of an international network, when those resources become necessary.